Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Weekly Update 9/1

 Dear Wines Families, 

Welcome to my first weekly “Wednesday Email”. While over the past few weeks, you’ve received many messages from me, now that we are in the swing of things here at school, I will return to my regular once a week communication. This will come every Wednesday. On occasion, I may send an additional note if the need arises, but I promise not to fill your inboxes with unnecessary messages. I simply ask that you do find the time to read the weekly Wednesday message, however. I also post the same message on social media. You can find it at www.winesprincipal.blogspot.com, the Wines Facebook page at www.facebook.com/wineselementary, or on our Twitter page @wineselementary. Occasionally, I forget to post the message on social media, but I always remember the email! 

Before I get into my updates, I want to express my sincere thank you for a great start. I have to admit that while I was being truthful when I’ve shared that in my 12 years at Wines, this fall brought the most excitement for me, I neglected to share that this fall also brought the most nerves out in me! I’ve been hard at work planning the new logistics of schooling during the ongoing pandemic and I just want to make sure everything goes smoothly and safely. While I’m a bit of a perfectionist and things are not yet perfect, I am really pleased with our start and big thanks for that goes to our kids, families, and staff. 

Lunch Update

I know that lunch has been an understandable source of interest and concern in our community as we re-entered school. I don’t want to repeat what I’ve said already this week, so I’ll just say this: I love outdoor lunch (and so do the students)!!! Yesterday we introduced outdoor lunch to 3rd-5th graders and today we introduced it to 2nd grade. We will plan on starting 1st grade outside tomorrow. It has gone extremely well. We are going to give Young 5’s and kindergarten students one more day in the lunchroom and introduce outside to them next week. So, by next week, all students will eat outdoors daily as the weather allows. Again, we all know that we can’t eat outdoors every day in Michigan, and so I want to reiterate that I feel very comfortable with the procedures we have in place inside as well. 

No School Friday or Monday

Just a reminder there is no school this Friday and next Monday. Enjoy the last weekend of summer!

News from the Library!

Greetings from the Wines Library. My name is Rachel Goldberg and I am delighted to be your school librarian. This week, the library has been buzzing with the energy of children excited to return to the beautiful library space. I wish you all could see them as they enter with eyes wide as they take it all in. Due to the nature of the first week schedule, not all classes visited the library this week. However, I look forward to welcoming everyone in the next few weeks. Ms. Orr, our amazing Library Clerk, is back with us on Tuesdays. 

If your child did visit the library this week, they likely checked out a library book (hooray!). If a library book makes its way into your home, please ask your young reader about what they can do to care for their library books at home. We went over a variety of scenarios in class, including some hilarious conversations about where not to read your library book. 

I am in the process of updating the library website with class schedules, updated links, and updated contact information. In the meantime, please do not hesitate to reach out to me via email - goldbergr@aaps.k12.mi.us. I have so enjoyed meeting your children this week and I look forward to meeting parents and caregivers soon, too. 

Cub Scouts are Back!

Cub Scout Pack 3078 is back with regular, in-person meetings! The pack is open to children of all genders grades K-5. Our meetings will be held on Sunday’s outdoors at local parks at least to start this fall. Our first meeting will be on September 12, 3-5pm at a local park. If you would like more information or have questions please contact Cubmaster Seth Guikema at seth.guikema@gmail.com.

Youth Volleyball Grades 4-9

Youth Volleyball is back for both boys and girls grades 4-9. Registration is now open through September 14! Practices start the week of Oct 11 and games start October 23 (Saturdays only). Find all info at https://www.a2schools.org/Page/4393

 Note: Masks required for all in youth volleyball, regardless of vaccination status. Youth coaches must be fully-vaccinated. Questions? contact Karen at draves@a2schools.org.

That’s all for this week. As always, don’t hesitate to reach out to me with any questions.

David


No comments:

Post a Comment